Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Cypress Hairpinleg accent table

DIY Round One – ding!

Well peeps…here we go.

I recently found myself with some time on my hands, a house that could use some extra special touches, a screwdriver that made me look like I knew what I was doing when I held onto it, and just enough motivation. The idea to make an incredibly cool table came to me when I was introduced to hairpin legs. I wasn’t familiar with the concept, nor the crazy interesting look they had. The sizes and colours alone had me scrolling along the screen to make sure I saw every single option before I committed to the 24inch steel beauties you can see in the pictures. I should also acknowledge how lucky I am to have a woodworker in the family, so I had a beautiful unfinished piece of cypress that needed just the right legs to create an awesome accent table.

What I started with:

• An unfinished piece of cypress
• Minwax Polyurethane
• Minwax Wood Finish Golden Oak
• LePage Wood Filler Light Oak
• 2 natural bristle brushes – one for the stain, one for the clear coat
• Fine sandpaper
• 3 – 24inch hairpin legs
• One pink screwdriver
• 9 - 1 ½ screws
• A couple rags for clean up

There are detailed steps on both the filler, stain and polyurethane cans…I’m giving you the crib notes. As you can see the wood needed a few spots filled. This was a relatively easy - smear, smooth, allow to dry, and wipe the excess off with a damp cloth process. Once the filler dried I applied the first coat of stain. The can says it will take between 4-6 hours to dry. I did this outside so the warm sun sped up the process. If you think it needs it you can gently sand the wood, wipe off the dust and re-apply a second, or even a third coat. This is totally your call. When I was satisfied with the stain I moved to the clear coat stage (polyurethane). This leaves a nice sheer finish on the wood and made it look like I new what I was doing. Again, here we wait another 4-6 hours for the clear coat to dry and if you think it needs it you can reapply a second coat. Now for the exciting part! Once the final coat had dried I turned the cypress finish side down onto a towel and started to arrange the hairpin legs. Each leg has 8 holes so it gave me tons of placement options. When I decided on a position I was happy with I turned to my trusted screwdriver and went to town. I secured each leg with 3 screws and eagerly turned my table right side up to see the final product. And what did I create you ask? My first woodworking meets hairpins legs project – a beautiful, completely original, conversation piece.

Until next time #wink

No comments:

Post a Comment